Monday, July 28, 2008

Alaska

From Ethan: On July 14, 2008 I went to Alaska with my dad, and grandpa Hand. We had to drive to Orlando to catch our plane. We flew on Alaskan Airlines. The plane stopped in Seattle Washington, then continued on to Anchorage, Alaska. After we got out luggage from the plain we drove about 4 hours to our campground on the Klutena River. The weather in Alaska was in the mid sixties during the day and down to the 40s at night. It was windy and did rain some but it was not too bad. My grandpa taught me how to tie a fishing knot so that I could change my hooks and lures by myself. We did not catch any red salmon on the Klutena River so we went to Valdies. When we got there we found a place were the Pink salmon were so thick in the water you could almost walk down and pick out the fish you wanted. We used lures call pixies. The fish did not really bite the lures we had to snag the fish with the hooks. The fish weighed between 3 and 5 pounds. They were a lot of fun to catch. Grandpa and me had a fishing contest to see who could catch the biggest fish. I won the first time. Grandpa says he won the second time but I think I really did. We ended up going to Valdies 4 times one of the times I caught a Pink Salmon that I entered in a fishing derby for kids and got a t-shirt as a prize. We got to see a lot of really big mountains, some glaciers and even a couple of dome volcanoes. I had a lot of fun and think I would like to live there some day.

1 comment:

mom and pops grover said...

Wow Ethan! What a trip! It looks like you had a great time and made a lot of memories. How fun you could do something like that with your Dad and your Grandpa.